Hand Tailored Language Learning Experiences
Every Language & Luxury™ experience is a custom tailored private journey to learn a foreign language, with a Personal Language Instructor, one on one, in some of the world’s greatest cities and towns. Creating the customized language learning experience will be a collaborative process between you and your personal Language & Luxury™ Destination Specialist.
Tthe Language & Luxury™ learning system comes from years of doing it the wrong way. One of our Founders said it best; the first foreign language I studied was German, taking four years in High School, four years in University, and I even took group study abroad programs in each of High School and College. But after eight years of study and even a degree in German, I still couldn’t speak the language.
I could read and write OK and understood quite a bit, but I hadn’t had enough direct contact with German speakers and just hadn’t gotten comfortable enough with the conversation. While working in the travel business a few years later, I was sent to work in Germany for two summers, where I interacted with the locals on a daily basis and after those two summers I FINALLY was able to speak the language well. Thus it took me roughly nine years to learn to speak German and ONLY after I lived and worked there (immersion).
Why? One on one language instruction from a local, experienced Spanish teacher plus cultural immersion…I lived alone in a flat in a neighborhood, took care of myself with respect to daily activities, and spent hours with my future wife’s family and friends.
This is definitely the formula that works plus you get the added bonus of long lasting moments and life-changing experiences that come with being immersed in the foreign culture!
Founder of Language & Luxury™
Listen to Richard Phelps talk about the importance of immersion in language learning, and his own journey with immersive learning.
The Finest Accommodations
The Language & Luxury™ team has conducted extensive searches and handpicked only four- and five-star equivalent accommodations comprised of flats and villas in the best locations for exploring and in the best neighborhoods for cultural immersion.
Every Language & Luxury™ vacation is a fully custom private journey to learn a foreign language, with a Personal Language Instructor, one on one, in some of the world’s greatest cities and towns.
Core Immersion Program
– Handpicked and inspected luxury properties
– Typically, two to three options to choose from
• Personal language instructor (10 hours of personalized language instruction per week)
– Also, handpicked and professional
– Instructors will tailor instruction to each client based on needs and interests
• Local Cultural Activities (to help immerse you in the culture so that you practice speaking the language)
– 2 or 3 per week, typically “off the beaten path” walking tour, dining where only locals go, museum tour, etc., with your Personal Language Instructor
• Private airport transfers
• Dedicated concierge service
– 24/7 for any emergency needs
– Booking reservations, tours, optional activities, shopping
What Kind Of Information Is Required
• Will you need a Travel advisor, Yes or No?
• Your First name, last name
• Your Email address
• Your Telephone
• The Language You Would Like To Learn
• The Destination Of Interest
• Number Of Travelers
• The Minimum Number Of Rooms
• Arrival & Departure Dates (to and from destination)
Once the basic package is confirmed, we will offer other optional local activities to enhance your experience, some of which may need to be booked and paid for in advance.
- Sightseeing cycling tour
- Wellness activities (spa treatments, yoga, meditation, etc.)
- Personal trainer
- Personal chef
- Private tastings of foods or wine, champagne, tequila, mezcal (based on the destination)
- The local grocery shopping experience
- Private tour in a castle or winery, led by the owner, followed by a multi-course dinner and wine pairings!
- Private cooking classes
- Where applicable: yacht cruises, fishing, kite surfing, other water sports
The Key Elements
There are three key elements in the Language & Luxury™ experience that are helping Americans to finally fulfill their dream to learn a foreign language:
1) one on one personal language instruction in some of the world’s greatest cities and towns,
2) living in an actual neighborhood and not in a group tour environment, plus,
Living In A Neighborhood
Living in an actual neighborhood and not in a group tour environment.
Cultural immersion, which comes both from neighborhood living as well as from activities designed to get you involved in the lifestyle.
One On One Instruction Plus Immersion Is What Really Works
Why Other Language Learning Methods Fail
Language learning through audio recordings only is just not enough
Group study in North America is very slow and difficult to practice conversation
Group study abroad is better, but traveling and studying in a group means that you speak English 98% of the time
Our Language Instructors
Also handpicked are the very highest caliber language instructors, all with a great deal of experience in teaching adults and teaching methods that lend themselves to adult learning. Also available is language instruction for families with children and we will customize the schedule to accommodate all family members as much as possible.
Typically instruction is held in a convenient location such as in a cozy café or even in your flat or villa for two hours per day, Monday through Friday, although there is certainly flexibility as to the schedule and hours that can be addressed on site.